natalie. kaiden. poohbah.

Friday, December 24, 2010

2010 Holiday card


Hi Friends and Family,

Wow, where do I start!? Last year, after having Kaiden, I figured it was protocol to send out a picture Christmas card. That’s what parents do, right? But while reflecting on a year chockfull of my biggest challenges, transformations and mile stones yet, I figured this year’s card was entitled to an upgrade…with stories and stuff. So without further ado:

2010 entered into my life just like any other year, except it had with it a home taken over by infant toys, bottles, and diapers. Lots of diapers. Kaiden’s world is very busy, and most of the time messy, but I enjoy living in it. I started the year deeply infatuated with his beginner giggles and sloppy wet kisses only to fall in love with everything that followed: crawling at 7 months, giant hugs at 11 months, and walking shortly after; each new milestone, of course, defining him less a baby and more a busy toddler. Everyday I come home to something new; whether it be new words that, regardless of what they are or mean, suddenly become the most amazing words in the world simply because they leave the mouth of the most adorable little boy, sign language, a sudden appreciation for the same food he just threw across the room last week, or other exciting new improvements to his motor skills. I was warned that ‘kids change you’, but what I didn’t consider was that with every new change Kaiden devoured I too would grow.

In June I took a job in Green Bay, WI allowing for weekend visits with family, new career explorations, and 40 degree weather in September. It’s been a bigger adjustment than I imagined but with time Kaiden and I have gotten through every hurdle and come out better than ever before. The new work hours have allowed for not only more family time but a little something I like to call “mommy time”. I haven’t quite mastered this concept (nor do I intend to) but after a year of unveiling motherhood (experimentally) I’ve finally discovered a pleasant sane work- life balance. We’ve come up with a great routine, found some pretty wonderful friends, and are really taking a liking to Green Bay. And yes, I say that knowing full well I have at least 3 more months of winter ahead of us. Bring on the snowboarding and downhill tubing!

2010 has really tested my role as ‘Dr. Mom’ bringing on lots of colds, flu bugs, asthma and even food poisoning. But despite the hiccups I am absolutely in awe of what I’ve been blessed with and all I have learned this year, like: there’s always something in my house that’s sticky- and that’s okay, there’s no such thing as sleeping in, raising a child may be a labor of love- but it’s still labor and stressing out really is a waste of time (though I’m still guilty) because nothing has been thrown my way that’s been too great to overcome with the grace of God. He knows no boundaries, has no fears, and delivers what he’s always promised.

So as we leave this year behind and enter the year of “why, mom?” Kaiden and I would like to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! Thank you for being such a special part of our lives.

Happy Holidays-
Natalie & Kaiden (and Poohbah)

No comments:

Post a Comment