natalie. kaiden. poohbah.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Becoming KAIDEN

Since life hasn’t allowed for much time to blog (and my work blocks it) I’ve been slacking a bit on updates in comparison to what I had been doing not too long ago. I’d like to quit my job and become a professional blogger; any takers on supporting me financially while I pursue my dream of “Natalie Bianchi, PB” (Professional Blogger)? I’ll let you sleep on it.

The latest updates:
  • Kaiden has asthma! Well, technically they cannot assign a specific diagnosis since there is no way to accurately and technically test for asthma in babies/kids until close to age 6 however, all signs and symptoms point to an asthmatic. This makes sense being as how I have exercise induced asthma and my brother had asthma practically in the womb. The poor kid was in the hospital all the time for asthma. I also remember tagging along on weekly breathing treatments as well as sitting in his room talking to him as he did a treatment when I was in 3rd grade. But anyways, back to Kaiden; he’s now on albuterol but if this is something we need to use for two weeks diligently we’ll have to switch over to more of a steroid inhalant to keep those breathing airways open. It sounds bad, however I use to be on Advair, a steroid powder inhalant that completely cured me of asthma attacks. So far, his albuterol puffer has put a stop to the spit ups, stomach breathing, and coughing attacks.
Trying out his inhaler device.

Kaiden also has an ear infection. Lame, right? My poor child. But this is the last sickness he'll have. We're done feeling under the weather.
  • I completely forgot to mention this next detail! Court is closed! Though I’ve been vague about this aspect of my life for the sake of Kaiden ( I don’t want to talk poorly of his biological father for the sake of painting an ill picture in his innocent and untainted mind) our child support order and parenting plan was completed on June 15th. Final word: his biological father still is adamant about being known as just the “sperm donor” in Kaiden’s life. There are many emotions that could emerge from this final judgement but I choose to look at it like this:
    o Kaiden is financially supported by not only his mom, but an outside source that is obligated to distribute his end of the bargain for the next 17 years.
    o Kaiden has no contact with such a being but is still well cared for emotionally, mentally, and physically by yours truly.
    o Kaiden’s well being, upbringing, and all decisions centered around or affecting him are made solely by me.
    God knows the desires of my heart. He knows what I want before I even ask it. I’m confident that the way this panned out was/is for our (mainly Kaiden’s) best interest. God is good.

  • And finally, we celebrated Kaiden’s very FIRST birthday last weekend with great friends, good food, and lots of dogs!
    It’s practically a given that Kaiden won’t remember anything pertaining to his first birthday, but the fact that my two best friends (inducted by default as ‘sisters’ to me), friends of my mom (who prayed for both K and I before either of us had even met them), and grandpa were there to celebrate such an occasion was absolutely, hands down, the best gesture of love I have seen in a very long time. He had a riot opening presents, playing on the slip-n-slide, and devouring cake (with sugar free, whipped frosting), burgers, and watermelon! For the amount of exposure he had to outside sun, sugar, and kisses he really did a stand up job of postponing his crabbiness until after everyone left.

    Watching Auntie get ready. Watching Nana get ready. Finally, the Birthday boy is ready (and not happy)








I do realize there's an open flame next to tissue paper, however Auntie was far too excited to sing to him.



MMM Watermelon!






The Bianchi Girls, K-man, and Grandpa Bianchi


I think the highlight of the day was the fact that he got to meet his great grandpa! A little ditty on that: My grandpa and grandma (now in heaven) traveled a lot when I was a kid. Majority of my memories involving them don’t start until after they had moved to Michigan and we use to drive up once in a great moon to visit. I felt very distant (physically and metaphorically speaking) from both of them. Once my grandma has passed my grandpa suddenly became sold out on Christ. He is very (to say the least) active in his church and ensures his presence every Sunday. After being married for nearly 60 years you can only imagine what life without his one true love felt like. Thankfully, church found him, and he found God. He’s 87 and still remembers to send birthday cards. I send him pictures, cards and other small gifts every few months but never hear from him. It was always weird to never hear back, but I assumed he was just being active and staying busy so you could imagine my surprise when I saw him pull up the drive way on Saturday. He never told anyone his plan, he just decide to make the 4 + hour drive to meet his great grandson and be apart of his special day.
My dad was about 2 miles down the road partaking in a civil war reenactment (don’t get me started on this topic- just watch ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ and you’ll know what I mean) but couldn’t make the time to visit us so I took a drive with my grandpa to go to him. On that drive my grandpa and I were able to talk about some pretty personal things (and the fact that K-mart stores in WI are priced higher than those in MI, but that was cut pretty brief). It was the first time I had ever had a conversation like that with a ‘parental’ figure in my family aside from my mom. It wasn’t even weird. It felt so natural to explore that communication line with him. The whole time we were talking I couldn’t help but think to myself the amazing role God plays in our lives. He changed this man. And everyone could see it. After discussing the emotional toll the situation with Kaiden’s biological father has taken on me (and single parenting, in general) and hearing about how he and my grandma met, he looked at me and said “Nattie, I know you’re going to find someone that makes you so happy and brings you joy everyday just like your grandmother did me. Just be patient, because God is patient.” He has never said anything like that to me in all my life, so naturally it took everything in me to not break down in a sob fest in response to such tender words. The only other male figure in my life to love Jesus and live by his word was my brother, so to have this new-found relationship with my grandpa is like having a piece of my brother physically back. And it feels amazing.
When I asked him what he thought of his great grandson he paused momentarily as if he was searching for the right word to describe this profound feeling of greatness, and simply said “he’s amazing, Nattie” with the sweetest look on his face. He told me my grandma would love to be here for this. Highlight of the day? I’d say so.

1 comment:

  1. Ok- this was a tear-jerker for me. Talk about an emotional conversation with your Grandpa- something you will never ever forget. That is very special. Hope K's birthday was the best ever! Totally cute cake!!!

    ReplyDelete